Cultura de la Pantalla en Cali (1942-1982)
This project focuses on film exhibition, programming and cultural practices related to cinema going throughout the XX Century and the beginning of the XXI in Saltillo, Coahuila, México. Located in northern México, Saltillo offers a strategic route for distribution of cultural and economical goods in the region: it’s close enough to cities like Monterrey, Torreón, Zacatecas, Laredo and the Mexican border with Texas. Besides, many famous actors of Mexican Cinema were born and raised in this city: the Soler Brothers, Beatriz Aguirre and Magda Guzman are some of them. Methodologically it is a replica of the Enlightened City project, but it emphasizes the city’s drive to industrialization and social development. Thus, the project involves the design of cartographies with cinemas’ location as well as audiences’ routes and paths, the analysis of local and foreign film programming, and oral history on audience’s remembrance of film consumption.
The project has not received any external funding. Faculty members, graduate and undergraduate students of the communication programs at Autonomous University of Coahuila, have worked in the project on a voluntary basis.
The project coordinators thank the Municipal Archive of Saltillo and the General Archive of the State of Coahuila de Zaragoza the facilitation of the documents consulted for this study.
TEAM / CONTACT
Team – Universidad Autónoma de Coahuila
Undergraduate Associated Students
- Katya Estefanía García Nuncio
- Rosario Reyes Arreozola
- Cinthia Monserrat Pérez Mendoza
- Cecilia Antonieta Guillermo Valencia
- Alva Mercedes Guillermo Valencia
- Ana Laura Marines García
- Lilibeth Anai Alvarado Espinoza
- Muñoz, B.A., Corona, A. y Meers, Ph. (2020). El advenimiento del cine como entretenimiento popular en Saltillo, Coahuila, México durante el inicio del siglo XX. 31 Encuentro Nacional de la Asociación Mexicana de Investigadores de la Comunicación.
- Muñoz, B.A., Corona, A. y Meers, Ph. (2021). Principio de una cultura cinematográfica urbana en Saltillo, México (1898-1940). Bauru y Aveiro: Ria Editorial y AMIC. [Forthcoming]
- Muñoz, B. A., Hernández, A., Corona, A y M. Sánchez. (2021). Cinema-going experiences of disappointment in the decade of 1980 in Saltillo, México. Seminar On/Off Screen. The Other Histories of Cinema in Latin America / Las otras historias del cine en América Latina. [Forthcoming]
- Muñoz, B.A., Corona, A., Meers, Ph., y M. Sánchez. (2021). Theaters, tents and hotels: mapping film exhibition venues and audiences’ experience in Saltillo from municipal records in the context of the Mexican revolution. History of Moviegoing, Exhibition and Reception 2021 Conference. [Forthcoming]