Cultura de la Pantalla en Cartagena de Indias
The 4 projects approach the history of places of film exhibition, film programming and cinema going experiences in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia.
1. Cinema and Society in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia (1930-1972): Movie Theaters, Programming and Audience Experiences. This is the Joint PhD thesis of Waydi Miranda Pérez (2018, Universidad Iberoamericana, Ciudad de México/ University of Antwerp, Belgium) under supervision of Maricela Portillo and Philippe Meers, in which he studies the exhibition, programming and experiences of cinema in the Carribean city of Cartagena de Indias from the thirties to the seventies.
2. The Discursive Construction of the Audience by the Movie Programming Grammar in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia (1897-1997). This is the ongoing PhD Project of Osiris Chajín at at Universidad Nacional de Córdoba (Argentina) under supervision of Philippe Meers, in which she studies the programming offered to the audiences in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia. The starting point is to map commercial film programming to understand the role of the press in the development of film audiences; analyze the discourses in the press about the qualities and characteristics of the programming; and depict the images of the audience constructed by such discourses.
3. Cinema and Society in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia (1912-1922): Programming and Movie Theaters. This project looks at the social, cultural and urban transformations that occur in the city in interaction with modernity, by studying the mediation of cinema in Cartagena. This approach helps to understand the evolution of audiences, the geographical distribution of the movie theaters and their strategies of programming.
4. The Memory of Movie Consumption in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia (1970-1995): Theaters, Billboards and Spectators. The social experience of movie-going in the city of Cartagena between the 1970s and 1990s is reconstructed, exploring the movie offer and identifying the denomination and distribution of the city theaters. In keeping with the urban expansion and gentrification of the historical center in the late nineties, the neighborhood cinemas became urban legends for the most recent generations of moviegoers, as theaters with enormous façades and bombastic names began to close and consumers avail themselves of the small multiplex at the crowded shopping malls.
The projects have received funding from: 1. Conacyt scholarship (Mexico); 3. Observatorio del Caribe Colombiano – Héctor Rojas Herazo Scholarship for Cultural Research; 4. Ministerio de Cultura de Colombia – Estímulos 2015, Scholarship for Research in Cinema and Audiovisual Media in Colombia.
TEAM / CONTACT
Team – Cultura de la Pantalla, Cartagena de Indias
Coordinators – Cultura de la Pantalla Network
- Miranda Perez, W. & Chajín, O. (2016) Cine y Sociedad en Cartagena de Indias, Colombia (1912-1923): Rasgos y evolución de la cartelera, Aguaita 28-29, 126-133.
- Miranda Perez, W. & Chajín, O. (2018) Cine y Sociedad en Cartagena de Indias, Colombia (1912-1923): De la Carpa a los Cines, Global Media Journal Mexico, Jul-Dec, 137-151.
Miranda Perez, W. & Chajín, O. (2019) Hacia un Marco de Referencia para el Estudio de la Cultura de Cine en Cartagena de Indias de Indias, Colombia (1897-1997) Conference paper XXI° Congreso de la Red de Carreras de Comunicación Social y Periodismo Escuela de Ciencias de la Comunicación, Facultad de Humanidades (UNSa), Salta.